ObsessionwithBooks

Obsession with Books

Www.obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com I am an avid reader from Sydney, Australia with a love of all things book related. I love to read Young Adult (UF, Paranormal, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Contemporary and Dystopia) with the odd adult Paranormal or Contemporary romance thrown in at times. Obsession with Books was started in March 2011.
Storm's Heart - Thea Harrison www.obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.comStorm's Heart is the second installment in the Elder Race series by author Thea Harrison.Thistle ‘Tricks’ Periwinkle is the daughter of deceased Dark Fae king Rhian and Queen Shaylee, both slaughtered along with her brothers by Urien who was killed by Dragos in Dragon Bound. Niniane Lorelle as she is known as to the Fae had long been assumed dead but now her relationship to them has been proven, it is her duty to return to Adriyel and claim the throne.Things don’t start off too well for her and an attempt is made on her life by her cousin and other dark fae, when the Wyr’s witness the attack which was filmed and posted online Tiago Black Eagle offers to find and protect her which Tricks had initially declined for political reasons.Tiago is a Thunderbird Wyr Warlord; able to wield thunder and lightning he has ruled the skies for centuries. He is furious when he initially finds a drunken and injured Trick’s but immediately begins to help and protect her, not an easy feat when she continually pushes him away.After yet another assassination attempt is made on Niniane, but this one supposedly by the Wyr, Tiago makes it his sole purpose to stand by her side until he is certain she is safe, taking over the security detail in a dominant way and guiding her along in the process.There is a lot of politics in this book and we are introduced to another group of the elder race - the Vampyre who I initially thought were responsible for the attacks aimed at Trick’s. I certainly questioned Carling their leader’s motives.I was surprised by who was behind it and the final confrontation but pleased by the resolution.I adored Niniane in Dragon Bound, she was funny, sarcastic and witty but we see a different side of her in Storm’s Heart, the sarcasm and snark is certainly still there, especially with Tiago but there is a lot more emotion and vulnerability shown. I enjoyed watching her grow into the role of queen and play the part perfectly.Tiago is just as alpha as Dragos, he is rude, scary, easy to anger, gruff and domineering but has a hidden caring, sensitive and sweet side which he allowed Tricks to see. I enjoyed the way he softened with her and although they were extreme opposites they made a nice partnership.I loved the entertaining and sexy banter between the h/h especially in the first few chapters of the book, Trick’s inner turmoil and thoughts at times were hilarious.I thoroughly enjoy the wonderfully developed world Thea Harrison has created, the characters are likeable, the plot and pacing is solid and the writing perfect. A satisfying addition to this series.I look forward to reading Rune and Carling’s story in Serpent’s Kiss which has a 4th October release date.