ObsessionwithBooks

Obsession with Books

Www.obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com I am an avid reader from Sydney, Australia with a love of all things book related. I love to read Young Adult (UF, Paranormal, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Contemporary and Dystopia) with the odd adult Paranormal or Contemporary romance thrown in at times. Obsession with Books was started in March 2011.
The Rising Moon - Nilsa Rodriguez www.obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.comI was recently given the opportunity to read Nilsa Rodriguez’s debut novel The Rising Moon for a blog tour in which I participated in and found it to be an enjoyable read, I am a huge Werewolf and Shape-shifter fan so I was keen to see the direction in which Ms Rodriguez would take her story.Angelia (Lia) Lafosse lost her parents at a young age and after being in and out of foster homes for most of her young life, she now lives with her surrogate father John, who after the death of his wife has turned to alcohol for solace. Lia has always known she was different, she is a loner, an outcast amongst her peers; she is an interesting and complex character and definitely has her issues, her biggest being that those around her usually die. When fellow student, Ryan Woodruff befriends her, she finds out more about her history and her past - she is a werewolf, with immense powers beyond any of her kind and a reincarnation of the last immortal werewolf, Zaria – which comes to explain the unusual dreams she has experienced on and off since she was a child. With the recent death of the Ulric grand-mother, who are a family of Lobisons events are set in motion which places Lia and those around her in immense danger – people she believed to be her friends are now her enemy and out to destroy her for the abilities she holds including Ulric siblings, Emi and Lyle – although Lyle has fallen deeply in love with Lia.I enjoyed the dark and mysterious feel The Rising Moon had; I liked the differences between the werewolves and the Lobisons and the history surrounding their feud. The action scenes were entertaining and detailed. What I didn’t like: I think I would have liked to see less romance and more character development and information on the old legends and the abilities Lia had inherited – I don’t feel they were explored enough; the romance/s seemed to take over from the main storyline for me. There is actually a love square of sorts; it starts with Ryan, then to Lyle Ulric and finally Adam Ambrose.Adam and Lia’s love felt very rushed, I felt there was more a connection between Lia and Ryan - the dialogue, his protective streak, and meeting the family etc. he seemed a better fit relationship wise for me. Adam and Lia sort of fell together due to a shared past, I didn’t feel any chemistry between them.Ms Rodriguez has weaved a fascinating story, the history; supernatural beings, locations etc. were all vividly detailed and intriguing but I just felt the insta-love declarations to be a tad too much for me.