ObsessionwithBooks

Obsession with Books

Www.obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com I am an avid reader from Sydney, Australia with a love of all things book related. I love to read Young Adult (UF, Paranormal, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Contemporary and Dystopia) with the odd adult Paranormal or Contemporary romance thrown in at times. Obsession with Books was started in March 2011.
Volition - Shawn Kirsten Maravel More of my reviews can be found @ www.obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.comMy Rating: 3.5 out of 5 starsVolition was kindly provided to me by the author, Shawn Kirsten Maravel in exchange for my honest review.Charlotte Rush is a College student and works part-time as a bank teller; she lives a quiet and at times mundane life and lives with her two best friends.On a reluctant night out dancing, Charlotte has her drink spiked but before losing consciousness is rescued by a stranger named Joel, she has no idea what he has done to her or with her when she wakes up in a hotel room and panics but he seems sincere with helping her to recover and returning her home.It isn’t until she returns to her art class that she sees Joel again – posing nude, she feels a pull toward him and seeks to get answers on what happened on that fateful night.I initially had no idea what Volition was about, and throughout the story I was intrigued, Joel was truly a mystery – he was noble, caring, good-looking and kind but also evasive when it came to answering questions about himself.I liked the main protagonist, she reminded me a little of myself with her social behavior; give me a good book and a night in over going out any day. She was lovable and kind, she’d had her heart broken in the past so was surprised by her feelings towards Joel but there was no denying the attraction between them.The pacing for me was initially slow but soon picked up, I was so anxious for Joel to spill the beans on who or what he was. The investigation with the nightclub owner was interesting although at times too detailed. I enjoyed the twists and turns in Volition and was truly shocked by the reveal at the end.Ms Maravel has created a loving story about a mortal and ‘someone else’, I don’t want to reveal who or what Joel is or the connection he shares with Charlotte because finding out is all the more important and special with this story.The plot was enjoyable and Ms Maravel’s writing is engaging; I liked the main characters and thought each of the secondary characters also played an important part in this story.We are left with a cliff-hanger so I am now eager to get started on Severance, the sequel. I truly hope there is some way Charlotte and Joel can find a permanent way to be together.