ObsessionwithBooks

Obsession with Books

Www.obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com I am an avid reader from Sydney, Australia with a love of all things book related. I love to read Young Adult (UF, Paranormal, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Contemporary and Dystopia) with the odd adult Paranormal or Contemporary romance thrown in at times. Obsession with Books was started in March 2011.
The Lifeguard - Deborah Blumenthal The Lifeguard was kindly provided to me by Netgalley for Whitman, Albert & Company and is due to be released in March 2012. 16 year old Sirena Shane has been sent to Rhode Island to spend the summer with her aunt, a trip her parents feel is the best for her since they are going through a divorce and are in the process of getting everything settled.Sirena’s aunt’s cottage is the perfect location to forget the happenings of normal life but it is also mysterious and has a wonderful back-story, they also feel it is inhabited by ghosts.The beach is literally at the doorstep and guarding the beach is a gorgeous lifeguard – Pilot, it is instant attraction for Sirena, he consumes her thoughts, rescues her on occasion and she becomes fixated on him.Sirena’s attraction and thoughts about Pilot bordered on obsession, it was an instant crush on her part where she constantly had him on her mind but her feelings didn’t initially seem to be reciprocated. We don’t learn a lot about Pilot which is a shame; I would have liked to have known more about his past and his abilities. I don’t feel their relationship was explored or developed enough to form any kind of attachment or encouragement for them being together.The Lifeguard took us through a young girls grief and how she was trying to cope during what she believed was a total upheaval by her parents through their divorce, her eyes are opened when she volunteers at the local hospital and she sees there are certainly people who are worse off than she is and she also learns a lot from Antonio the painter. I loved the relationship Sirena had with her parents, her aunt, Antonio who I thought was wonderful and her best friend, the letters between them let us in on her inner turmoil and thoughts and I really liked learning more about her from these small snippets.There are so many aspects of this book that I enjoyed but the romance and Sirena’s obsession really let it down for me, it seemed extremely one sided and it wasn’t until Sirena was back home that I felt there was a connection between the h/h. The paranormal aspect I don’t feel was explored fully, it was there but not in the forefront.I can’t fault the beautiful way in which The Lifeguard is written, it flows so smoothly and is easy to become engrossed in. All in all, a light, easy and quick read. I would definitely read more books written by Ms Blumenthal.