ObsessionwithBooks

Obsession with Books

Www.obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com I am an avid reader from Sydney, Australia with a love of all things book related. I love to read Young Adult (UF, Paranormal, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Contemporary and Dystopia) with the odd adult Paranormal or Contemporary romance thrown in at times. Obsession with Books was started in March 2011.
Half-Blood (Covenant, #1) - Jennifer L. Armentrout www.obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.comHalf-Blood is the first book in the Covenant by Jennifer L Armentrout.Alexandria Andros is a Half-Blood, a child of a Hematoi and a mortal and has been away from the Covenant – a training ground and safe haven for Pure Bloods and Half-Bloods alike for 3 years, on the run with her mother for reasons she doesn’t understand.When her mother is killed by a Daimon, Alex is rescued by Sentinels and returned to the Covenant. There are only two choices for a Half-blood, they can either train to become a sentinel who will hunt and kill daimons or become a branded servant in the homes of the Pure-bloods; Alex is adamant she will be a sentinel.Aiden is a pure-blood and has offered to catch Alex up in her training; he is mysterious, fiercely protective and noble and the only thing he can ever be to Alex despite their attraction is her trainer as it is against the rules for a pure-blood & half-blood to mix romantically.I loved the interaction and the slow-building romance between Alex and Aiden, he was certainly tolerant when it came to her rebellious streak, sass and sarcasm – I really hope to see their relationship progress despite it being forbidden. I also liked how he supported her every step of the way; the close bond they formed was really sweet.There are a number of twists and turns, drama and mystery, thrilling action, secrets and revelations in Half-Blood that kept the story flowing nicely. It was a solid, engrossing plot that kept me enthralled right to the very last page.A few things are predictable and at times I was hoping Alex would slow down and actually listen but it doesn’t take away from the enjoyment of the book. I really liked each of the secondary characters, Apollyan Seth was certainly intriguing as were the power of the elements he wields, I am eager to see how everything pans out between him and Alex, their uniqueness and the prophecy and bond surrounding them is certainly interesting. Best-friend Caleb and Aiden’s rebellious brother Deacon were also entertaining.I have read many comparisons between Half-Blood and the Vampire Academy series and whilst I agree in some aspects, Ms Armentrout has certainly put her own spin on things with the mythology and history which I found to be fascinating.Ms Armentrout has written enjoyable characters and a world filled with intrigue and mystery, I am really looking forward to reading the sequel Pure which has a 2012 release date.