ObsessionwithBooks

Obsession with Books

Www.obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com I am an avid reader from Sydney, Australia with a love of all things book related. I love to read Young Adult (UF, Paranormal, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Contemporary and Dystopia) with the odd adult Paranormal or Contemporary romance thrown in at times. Obsession with Books was started in March 2011.
Spell Bound - Rachel Hawkins Spell Bound is the final chapter of Sophie’s magical adventures and was an entertaining thrill ride filled with action, mystery and romance; it starts off right where Demonglass left off.Sophie Mercer’s powers have been removed by the council and at the beginning of the book we see her making her way to the Brannick family of witches in the hope of finding her mother. The only problem is the Brannick’s kill prodigium so she is wary of how she will be welcomed.Upon arrival, she is completely shocked to learn she has been stuck for longer than she expected in transit and she also learns more about her heritage, there is certainly more to her than just being part demon and a number of secrets are revealed. What was more worrying than having no powers and her connection to the Brannick's is not knowing what happened after the events at Thorne Abbey which was burnt to the ground, her thoughts were consumed by what had happened to her father, Cal, Jenna and Archer but is relieved to eventually learn that they each survived.Spell Bound was a book that left me completely surprised by some of the revelations, there were many plot twists and turns that I never saw coming which is always a good thing. The reasons behind why the demons were being created was certainly intriguing; one thing I was disappointed in was the final battle scene, I felt it ended all too soon and was quite anti-climatic but despite this it was still a great read.The humor in this story is what I have found to be most enjoyable, Sophie’s wit and the banter between her and Archer I find completely entertaining. She stayed true to herself despite what was going on around her.Each of the secondary characters are wonderful, Elodie is a classic, Jenna the amazing best friend and the love interests Cal and Archer both perfect in their own way. I am hoping we see a Brannick spin-off. Ms Hawkins writing is wonderful and the way the setting is described is vivid and detailed. The pacing for me initially started off slow but soon picked up and I became engrossed in the story. This is a series that I have thoroughly enjoyed with wonderful characters and a great plot.All in all, I felt Ms Hawkins wrapped the Hex Hall series up beautifully and I look forward to seeing what she comes up with next.