ObsessionwithBooks

Obsession with Books

Www.obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com I am an avid reader from Sydney, Australia with a love of all things book related. I love to read Young Adult (UF, Paranormal, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Contemporary and Dystopia) with the odd adult Paranormal or Contemporary romance thrown in at times. Obsession with Books was started in March 2011.
The Blessed - Tonya Hurley Thank-you to Simon & Schuster Pulse It for the opportunity to read The Blessed by Tonya Hurley.The Blessed is the story of three young girls, Lucy, Cecelia and Agnes, who each end up in the emergency room for differing reasons; Lucy overdosed, Agnes tried to commit suicide and Cecelia almost drowned in a pothole but each of their lives are somehow intertwined and their destinies linked. After they leave the hospital, they are eventually reunited at ‘The Church of the Precious Blood’ where they encounter the enigmatic and mysterious Sebastian who also appeared at the hospital with an unusual bracelet for each of them which is what has drawn the girls together.Besides Agnes, I couldn’t connect with each of the characters, I was curious about Sebastian, his past and his stint in the psychiatric hospital but none of them I found to have any real qualities or personalities of interest.I was initially intrigued by The Blessed’s plot about the saints and the history of these martyrs but it was executed in a way which I found to be quite confusing as well as disturbing; it was rich in religious pretenses which didn’t work for me at all.Unfortunately, this story failed to draw me in; I didn’t have high expectations as I wasn’t too sure what it was about from the vague synopsis but I found the pacing to be slow and the unexpected twist around the half way mark turned it into a somewhat gruesome, cruel and violent read.Despite this book being beautifully presented and written well, it wasn’t for me.