ObsessionwithBooks

Obsession with Books

Www.obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com I am an avid reader from Sydney, Australia with a love of all things book related. I love to read Young Adult (UF, Paranormal, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Contemporary and Dystopia) with the odd adult Paranormal or Contemporary romance thrown in at times. Obsession with Books was started in March 2011.
Splintered - A.G. Howard More of my reviews at www.obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.comEvery once in a while a book comes along and leaves me absolutely mesmerized; Splintered is a book which kept me up until all hours and left me thinking about it long after I had finished it – a sign to me of amazing storytelling.Alyssa is the great, great, great grand daughter of Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and hears the small whispers of bugs and flowers; thinking this is a sign of madness and that she is starting to take after her institutionalized mother, she soon learns that the stories about her family’s history is actually a shocking reality.I loved the voice of Alyssa; she was realistic, devoted, curious and really sweet. I loved the way she cared about her parents and best friend Jeb. Her task was to complete a series of tests in the Under-land to fix Alice’s mistakes in the hopes of breaking the family curse.Splintered was an engrossing read with amazingly vivid details, the intricate plot and the Alice in Wonderland tidbits were fascinating, it’s one of my most favorite tales and Howard certainly did it justice. I adored each of the characters; Alyssa’s strength, Jeb’s devotion and loyalty and netherling Morpheous’s mystery. We have a bit of a love triangle between Jeb and Morpheous, both boys were intriguing but I had a clear choice from the very beginning. The world Howard has created is filled with darkness and fraught with danger; once Alyssa stepped down that rabbit hole there was no turning back and the journey she took throughout in order to break the curse was filled with many surprises, twists and turns (one which completely blew me away) and extremely unusual creatures; it was enthralling.Howard’s writing is simply stunning! The wonderful story she has created is pure brilliance and filled with imagery that takes you into the story. I am definitely eager to read more books by this author.