ObsessionwithBooks

Obsession with Books

Www.obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com I am an avid reader from Sydney, Australia with a love of all things book related. I love to read Young Adult (UF, Paranormal, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Contemporary and Dystopia) with the odd adult Paranormal or Contemporary romance thrown in at times. Obsession with Books was started in March 2011.
Valkyrie Rising - Ingrid Paulson More of my reviews @ www.obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.comMy introduction to Norse Mythology has certainly started off well; Valkyrie Rising is a book which kept me entertained throughout and wanting more.16 year-old Ellie (Elsa) Overholt is spending her summer in Norway with her Grandmother but what she has always remembered of the peaceful, fishing town has certainly changed. On arrival, she is treated with disdain and soon finds out she descends from the Valkyrie and is being blamed for the recent disappearances of the boys in town.Valkyrie’s are mythological female warriors who lure strong, young men to join Odin’s army and when Ellie’s brother disappears her hidden powers awaken and she along with Graham’s best friend Tucker Halloway set out to find him. I loved each of the characters, Ellie was realistic in her actions and although she did make a few bad decisions I really liked her. The secondary cast all played a pivotal part in this story which I really liked but the true standout was definitely Tuck! He was an absolute classic; the banter between him and Ellie kept me giggling and the chemistry was undeniable despite the forbidden aspect which certainly kept Ellie on her toes, he was quite cheeky but also supportive and protective; I liked how the romance developed at a believable pace.The villains were each written really well, they were intimidating and cold; I enjoyed the action scenes where they were involved especially with Astrid who I found to be quite intriguing.The mythology and the lore was interesting, I have never read about Valkyrie’s before so something fresh was certainly a welcomed relief.The only aspects I questioned with this book was the absence of Ellie and Graham’s parents; it was barely touched upon and although I loved the sibling bond they shared, Graham seemed to play more of a fatherly role; I was also quite keen to learn more about Tucker’s family history – there is so much yet to be explored.Valkyrie Rising is a fast paced story placed in a wonderful setting and filled with tension, mystery, action and intrigue; the suspense left me breathless and yearning for more and I loved Ms. Paulson’s writing style which was crisp and entertaining.This book was a thrilling debut by Ingrid Paulson, I really hope it becomes as series.