ObsessionwithBooks

Obsession with Books

Www.obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com I am an avid reader from Sydney, Australia with a love of all things book related. I love to read Young Adult (UF, Paranormal, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Contemporary and Dystopia) with the odd adult Paranormal or Contemporary romance thrown in at times. Obsession with Books was started in March 2011.
Hooked - Liz Fichera More of my reviews @ www.obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.comHooked by Liz Fichera was kindly provided to me by Netgalley for Harlequin Teen.16 year-old Native American, Fredricka ‘Fred’ Oday resides on the reservation and has been approached by the coach of the Lone Butte High boys varsity golf team to join; it is her opportunity to hopefully obtain a scholarship to attend university, something no-one in her family has ever done and you can’t help but read along in the hope she succeeds.Joining the boys’ team didn’t come without problems; she isn’t instantly accepted, is ridiculed and treated badly by the team including rich, golden boy Ryan Berenger and his best friend Seth who was kicked off so Fred could take his place.The storyline was interesting but nothing fresh and I didn’t connect with any of the characters unfortunately, I found the romance to be bland, I didn’t see the appeal or connection between Fred and Ryan, what started off as disdain pretty much instantaneously went to them being attracted to each other and with a few misunderstandings and side relationships for both, I didn’t feel the chemistry.I am clueless when it comes to golf but I found this aspect to be interesting, Ms. Fichera certainly knows the sport and wrote it in a way which was enjoyable.Hooked contained a lot of drama as well as bullying; I would have loved Fred to stand up for herself and show emotion and it took a while before Ryan actually responded to how she was treated; I would have liked more of an emotional response rather than just letting it all go.This was a decent read, although I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I went into this sporting story in the hopes of finding another ‘Catching Jordan’ but unfortunately with the lackluster characters my expectations weren’t met.Overall, Hooked is a story about self discovery, overcoming hardships and developing a sense of self. Ms Fichera’s writing flowed well and for a YA debut novel it was a nice start, it’s companion novel Played will be released in 2014.Thank-you to Harlequin Teen and Netgalley for the opportunity to read Hooked.