ObsessionwithBooks

Obsession with Books

Www.obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com I am an avid reader from Sydney, Australia with a love of all things book related. I love to read Young Adult (UF, Paranormal, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Contemporary and Dystopia) with the odd adult Paranormal or Contemporary romance thrown in at times. Obsession with Books was started in March 2011.
Immortals (Runes, #2) - Ednah Walters Review: 5 out of 5 stars** Contains spoilers from the first book **Immortals is a book I have been really eager to read; I was a big fan of Runes and the world and characters Ednah Walters had created so I was keen to see how it would all progress, especially after the ending we were left with.After the events of the first book, Raine’s life is in turmoil, her peers think she is a witch, Torin doesn’t remember her thanks to the Norns removing his memories of her - her punishment for defying them and her best-friend is acting really odd so she has a lot of work to do to make things right and to understand what is happening around her.Valkyrie Torin St James is Raine’s smexy next door neighbour and also the person we saw her come to be quite close to in the first book but he no longer remembers who she is despite her knowing tid-bits no one else could have told her about his life, he is confused and infuriating.Our main characters are written beautifully; Raine is a wonderful character who I came to admire, she wasn’t without her faults but she was compassionate and showed her determination and protective side when it came to those she cared about, she went through immense emotional growth throughout this book. Torin is still completely infuriating but such a sweetheart! I love them individually but put them together and the chemistry is amazing. The romance has progressed at a believable pace which I quite liked.We come to find out the importance of not only Raine’s role with the Valkyrie’s but also Eirik’s which I found to be quite interesting, the Norn’s have told her she needs to protect him so throughout the course of the book Raine trains to learn more about her heritage and details of their purpose was slowly revealed as was a surprise villain who was causing a bit of behind the scenes drama; I found the Norse mythology truly fascinating and to be written extremely well. The plot was evenly paced and with a few unexpected twists and turns thrown in, it put a real spin on what I thought was actually going to happen, I liked the element of surprise.The secondary characters are awesome, Eirik is a sweetheart but we see a different side to him in this book, Cora is the supportive friend every girl needs to have but she turned out to be quite the surprise and I adored the parental presence and the love and support they showed to not only Raine but also Eirik. I also came to like Andris in this book, we also meet powerful Valkyrie Lavania who at times I didn't know whether could be trusted or not.I adore Ednah Walter’s writing style; the banter between the characters is entertaining and filled with snark and humour which I loved. We get the perfect balance of romance, action and suspense that kept me wanting more, I was so bummed when real-life interfered with my reading time because I didn’t want to put this book down, every spare moment my nose would be glued to the pages.Overall, a fabulous, kick-butt sequel! Amazing action sequences, norse mythology written extremely well and the best kind of romance and friendships. Ednah Walters is an auto-buy author for me; her story-telling is fabulous.I can’t wait for the next book in the series!