ObsessionwithBooks

Obsession with Books

Www.obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com I am an avid reader from Sydney, Australia with a love of all things book related. I love to read Young Adult (UF, Paranormal, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Contemporary and Dystopia) with the odd adult Paranormal or Contemporary romance thrown in at times. Obsession with Books was started in March 2011.
Two Boys Kissing - David Levithan Review: 4 out of 5 starsTwo Boys Kissing is the first book I have read by David Levithan and it certainly won’t be my last as I found myself engrossed in his amazing story-telling and the poignant, inspiring tale being told.I have to admit, this book is very different to what I normally read, it is based on a generation of gay men that have died from the Aids virus looking at a group of gay men in the present; comparing you could say what was to what now is.It took me a little while to get used to the narration, I found it completely confusing at times but as the book progressed each voice became unique as the characters told their individual, distinctive stories. The plot and the pacing flowed well and I found myself becoming absorbed in each of the raw, emotional and heartfelt personal experiences.With the chorus of gay men narrating and marvelling at the difference in acceptance now for the teens than what is was for them, it showed the social differences they faced which at times was terribly difficult to read about after knowing what they had to endure – loneliness, beatings, prejudice and being disowned by family and friends, it was an eye opener.Craig, Harry, Ryan, Avery, Cooper, Neil and Peter are the characters we get to know throughout the story, each with different personalities but connected by their sexuality and their personal struggles. I enjoyed and admired each of the characters and the insight we are given into their lives.Two Boys Kissing is a book filled with heart and hope, the subject matters are often taboo and not openly talked about so I commend David Levithan for writing such a exceptional and distinct book, it certainly sends an important message; it was informative and taught me a lot as we learn about the struggles and the need for acceptance constantly faced by teens primarily because of ignorance.David Levithan’s writing is utterly brilliant, his story-telling exceeded my expectations and resonate with you as a reader and despite finding the narrative style complex initially it ended up being an important aspect in the overall story.Overall, Two Boys Kissing is a beautiful, emotive book with stunning prose and wonderful characterization; a highly addictive, compelling read.Thank-you kindly to Text Publishing for the opportunity to read and review Two Boys Kissing.